The following announcement is from NVLSP lawyers and the wording has been slightly revised with emphasis on seeking out first those veterans who meet all of the stated requirements as outlined in the following statement.
The National Veterans Legal Services Program (NVLSP) is investigating whether to challenge the Department of Veterans Affairs' stay on cases in which the claimant has alleged that the veteran actually set foot on the landmass of Vietnam. As such, we are trying to identify veterans who meet ALL of the following criteria:
- At some point since filing his or her original claim for benefits related to Agent Orange exposure, the claimant has submitted evidence to the VA demonstrating that the veteran actually set foot on the landmass of Vietnam;
- The VA has not previously found that this evidence did not prove that the veteran set foot in Vietnam;
- The claimant has in their possession a letter from the VA informing him or her that the claim may be affected by Haas v. Nicholson, and the VA is awaiting the outcome of the Haas appeal before taking further action on the claim;
- After receiving the letter regarding Haas, the claimant has requested, in writing, that the VA adjudicate the claim as a "boots on the ground" claim (or similar language); and
- The VA has informed the claimant, after it has received the request and preferably in writing, that it will not adjudicate the claim as a "boots on the ground" claim (or similar language).
NVLSP would like anyone who meets all of the criteria listed above to contact law clerk Eve Hoffman by email at Eve_Hoffman@nvlsp.org We ask that you put "Boots on the Ground" as the subject of the message, and provide your name, address, and telephone number in the text of the email, along with any other relevant information pertaining to the criteria listed above. Ms. Hoffman will then contact you with further information. Again, please only email Ms. Hoffman if you meet every one of the above criteria. Thank You.
National Veterans Legal Service Program
RETURN TO the Main Page